Gretzky Rookie Program

Early career Gretzky stuff...anything, I don't care, I want it. This is one of my faves, a program with him on the cover from the 1979-80 season. Game was Jan, 26, '80 which was Gretz's 19th birthday. Opponent was my beloved Leafs, and proving true to form the Oilers won 8-3, with Wayner getting "only" two assists.
One page in the program lists the current NHL leaders up to Jan, 21. Gretzky, after 44 games sat in sixth place with 67 points, Marcel Dionne sat first with 91. This means that over his final 36 games he'd gather 70 points, almost 2 per game. Definitely a precursor of things to come. He'd gain 24 points on "Le Petit Castor" over those games.
The Leafs at the time were led by Darryl Sittler who had 41 points through 38 games. He would also turn it up in the second half, picking up 56 points in his last 35 games. Sittler was always one of my favourites, and the way he was run out of town a few seasons later by Ballard was a shame. The 80's were not a good time for Leaf fans, nor were the 70's or 90's for that matter. I have faith that this millenium holds at least one Cup for us diehards.

Comments

blammo said…
Hey Chris,

I think I have this game on video tape, its a lot of fun to watch, I'll see if I can dig it up.

See you at hockey.

Dean

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"