Playoff Time!


I've been busy. The last two nights I ran playoff hockey drafts, one with my hockey team the other at my work. I thought I'd analyze the draft results in order to get a general consensus of which teams people are picking in the playoffs this year.

I counted the number of players chosen from each NHL team out of the top 50 selections in each pool. I figure, if I compare the number of players from each team in each series I can get a nice sample of how 18 different knowledgeable hockey fans are predicting the playoffs. Remember, this was done in Vancouver so there may be a bit of bias...although, out of the 19 different pool teams chosen, 8 of them selected NO Canucks (of course 2 of those were my squads). The results are as follows (numbers are then translated to represent a seven game series)

New York 7 picks,  Ottawa 2 picks  
4-1
Pittsburgh 15 picks,  Philadelphia 3 picks
4-1

Boston 11 picks,  Washington 4 picks 
4-2

New Jersey 6 picks,  Florida 1 pick  
4-1



Vancouver 17 picks,  Los Angeles 7 picks 
4-2

Chicago 4 picks,  Phoenix  0 picks 
4-0

Detroit 8 picks,  Nashville 5 picks  
4-3

San Jose 5 picks, St. Louis 5  
4-3 one way or the other...let`s say Game 7 Overtime in this one.


Not surprisingly, of the 100 draft selections I looked at, the most with 17 were Canucks and the next highest was Pittsburgh. This seems to be a popular choice throughout the hockey world as the most likely Cup Final. Also, the West looks to be the tougher conference to predict with perhaps two series going the distance. I am surprised that the Flyers got such little respect, although I do agree with it. I do also agree with Vancouver and Los Angeles going at least six games with a possible upset for the Kings.

Bring on the playoffs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"